The following are the Top Five fan-voted winners in the category of Local Southern Gospel Artists as voted on by way of Country Atlanta polling. The Light was a co-presenter of the 2010 gospel polls. Four rounds of polling took place from May through August, and these are the final round winners:
1. ALISA ASBURY. For years, Alisa Asbury has been well-known as the Presidents of both the Georgia Country & Gospel Music Association and Sweet Southern Entertainment, and as a gifted singer a soulful voice, mostly in country music. Gospel music can now be added to that impressive resume. A few years ago, Alisa recorded a self-titled southern gospel music CD with her own versions of some well-known Christian music standards, setting forth a new chapter in her music career. As a member of Alisa Asbury & Cross Plains, the band finished in the Country/Bluegrass Top Five the past two years, and currently as a predominate gospel vocalist, she becomes the first solo artist to win the Southern Gospel title in the three years the poll has been in existence. Alisa says "I would like to thank Don Adkisson of Country Atlanta for so many years of wonderful service to the music industry of Georgia. Your website has been a great resource to promote so many events for us. I thank you for featuring my cd on your radio station, The Light. You have always been so good to all the members of the Georgia Country & Gospel Music Association, which I've been honored to be the president of for the past 5 years. I'm so blessed to be recognized along with these other great artists and groups in the top 5 and I want to congratulate them, as well. I want to thank everyone who voted for me. I couldn't have done it without you and your love and support for me is appreciated more than you will ever know. Please continue to pray that I do what God would have me to do and pray for all of the singers and groups - that there will always be a welcomed platform for Southern Gospel music." You can find Alisa Asbury online at myspace.com/alisaasbury and shoutlife.com/alisaasbury.
2. THE WEAVER BELIEVER SURVIVAL REVIVAL. Based out of the Northeast Georgia town of Sautee-Nacoochee, WBSR is a southern and bluegrass gospel band consisting of husband and wife Paul and Chris Weaver, and their children Anna, Michelle, Samuel, James, Stephen, Michael,
Sarah and Jonathan. The band performs both gospel standards and their own original compositions, and perform with a wide variety of instruments including guitar, banjo, acoustic bass, mandolin, fiddle and upright bass. They perform close to 200 concerts a year all across the U.S. WBSR was named 2009 Bluegrass Band of the Year from the GCGMA, as well as 2010 Bluegrass Band from NACMAI. Paul and Stephen have also won awards for songwriting. Some of the artists that members of the group likes include The Isaacs, The Gibbs Family, Randy Travis, Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder and Jeff & Sheri Easter. Find the Weaver Believer Survival Revival online at weaverbeliever.com, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Weaver-Believer-Survival-Revival/21856413631 and myspace.com/507126156.
3. SAVED BY GRACE. SBG was formed in 2006 by four members of the Abilene Baptist Church in Carrollton. The group originally started as a quartet of Pat Honeycutt, Chuck Shadrix, Ed Croy and Michael Cochran, but Pat left the group later that year when her husband was called to pastor a church in Asheville. They would tour as a trio for three years until Phil Bishop, a friend of Michael's who was a singer at another church, joined them. Once again as the Saved By Grace Quartet, the group travels to churches all across West Georgia ministering the gospel in song. SBG can be found online at savedbygraceqt.com and facebook.com/pages/Saved-By-Grace-Quartet/367019602870.
4. RENEWED. Based out of the Bartow County city of Adairsville, the Renewed Trio consists of Brian Bagley on lead, Dena Garland Bagley on tenor, and Ann Hardin on alto. The trio, singing since 2006, started at their home church. In June they held their 4th Anniversary Singing at Adairsville High School, and in August participated in the Rome Shriner's Telethon. In addition, they have given away over 45,000 CDs to people all across the U.S., Canada and other countries. Renewed is online at renewedtrio.com,
facebook.com/profile.php?id=1168150331, and myspace.com/renewedada.
5. THE BRIDGEMANS. Husband and wife duo Travis and Alecia Bridgeman of Cumming finish the poll at No. 5 for the third year in a row. The Bridgemans are the only artist to appear in the Top Five all three years that the southern gospel poll has existed, no other artist has even appeared twice. Travis is the senior pastor at the Antioch Baptist Church in Cumming, a position he has held for eight years. The Bridgemans have shared the stage with several of gospel music's brightest stars including The Talley Trio, The Kingsmen, Greater Vision and Squire Parsons. Their current CD is titled "We Can Hardly Wait!" Travis and Alecia's son, Lee, is gifted on the piano and in musical composition. One of his songs, "Sea Of Dreams," can be heard on their project, "Climbing Higher." Travis says "The Bridgemans" want to thank Don Adkisson of "Country Atlanta/The Light Atlanta" for the opportunities we have been given through his radio ministry. We appreciate his heart for giving local artists a platform to share our music! We also want to thank everyone who voted for us. We are honored to be in the top five local Southern Gospel Artists for the third year in a row. We appreciate each vote, along with your support and prayers for our ministry!" Find The Bridgemans at thebridgemans.com, facebook.com/group.php?gid=118317481543465 and myspace.com/thebridgemansduet.